Saturday 9 April 2011

Kensington Market- AKA What a wonderful morning!

So as I mentioned, today was the day that I would travel to Kensington.

I left home before 11am thinking that everything would be open. I was surprised that when I got there, the stores had just been opening.

I wandered a bit, I forgot how much I love it there. I forgot my camera which I kicked myself in the ass over.

I checked out a couple of the fruit and veggie vendors trying to get an idea of the prices. There are two vendors actually on Kensington (the street), kiddie corner. I went to the one on the north east corner. In there I got some great looking mushrooms, 6 oranges, a bunch of asparagus, a bunch of carrots, onions, tomatoes, bananas....and I think that was it...I am probably forgetting something. In total it came to $12. WOW, that is a lot better than at my typical grocery store.

Aside from veggies and fruit, I needed nuts, cereal and honey. I checked out a nut place again on Kensington...it's actually more of a health food store. They had raw almonds for $5.99/lb and raw walnuts for 7.99/lb...and pumpkin seeds for 4.99/lb. Now having talked to other people about bulk nuts, these seemed like fair prices. I got a whole lot of each (we eat a lot of them), and went to cash out. My total was $30 and I just stood there thinking WTF? So I had him weight each item...all of them were slightly over a pound, but the pumpkin seeds were more so. So I thought I would dump some of them back. The guy at te store thought I was dumping them all back...I was too embarassed to say anything....so I dumped them all back.

In the end it was $20 for almonds and walnuts. Not bad. I didn't get milk, cereal or honey there, though in hindsight I should have gotten honey at the market. I was walking around trying to get pumpkin seeds now that I had none, but everywhere else the pumpkin seeds were $6.50-7.00/lb. Damn. So I know, you're thinking I went back and got them from the other place right....yeah. I left without them. I know, I know WTFMOFO!! But once I am embarassed, I got into shy mode. So I'll just have to go back another day.

At the local grocery store I got milk and cereal...like $15...for two items!!! For Cherrios and milk! I still don't even know how.....or what....or yeah. No honey because it was really expensive. Might have to go to St.Lawrence for honey, we will see.

So under $50 so far for groceries and the only real thing I know I am for sure missing is honey. Not so bad if I do say so myself.

Only downside is it is crowded, which I will get over, the items are heavy and stuff like bananas gett tossed and bruised while you walk around.

Maybe it's time to invest in a new old lady buggy? I would love one of those cloth buggies...but only if it were done in a cool pattern..maybe tattooesque. Or lightening bolts...or something cool...not plaid.

I guess I will make my next post about scoring free things....it's fun.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment