Friday 1 April 2011

Coupons!! More and more Coupons!

So as promised, here is what I have learnt about coupons so far:

They are easy to obtain, you can stack different ones for greater savings, and they now come to you!

So when I think about coupons, I think about grabbing the weekly newspaper, spreading it out ona table...grabbing some scizzors and planning my shopping around whatever coupons I can find.

I was so wrong. I have since found not one, but 6 websites dedicated to coupons for Canadians (which I will post the links to at the bottom of this post).

You pick and choose which coupons you want and they either mail them to you, or in some cases you can print them off. I have been going through them and "ordering" coupons only for items I would typically buy, and ones that are complimentary to each other.

For instance, you can get a coupon for save $1 when you buy two bounty, puffs, or charmin product. Then there are two other coupons, each for $.50 off of any one bounty or charmin or puffs product. So hypothetically you can save $2 by using the $1 and 2 $.50 coupons. Nice! If the item happens to be on sale, even better!

So I check these sites frequently, they do not update on a specific basis so you always need to come back to them...maybe make it something you do when you have your morning coffee and check your e-mail.

I do get a package of fliers delivered to my house every Friday. Historically we've been picking them up and tossing them into recycling. We've always bought the same items and either they are going to be on sale at the store we choose to shop at, or not. But now as we are trying to save money, we've brought the pack in.

Today's pack contains fliers for the following stores:
Metro
Valu-Mart
Price Chop
Fresh Co. (who? apparently related to Sobeys)
Sobeys
Super Store (Loblaws)
Loblaws
 and Food Basics

I had no idea I had all these options so close to home. Tonight (or if I am honest, tomorrow morning), my Husband and I are going to through these fliers, check the sales and create our grocery list. I think the general idea is that I will do most of tomorrows shopping at No Frills to check it out...but that could change when we see what is on sale. Also good to note: A lot of these sites have their fliers on line. If you have a No Fliers sign on your door and don't get them in the mail...check out the grocery store website. You enter in your postal code and it brings you to the flier for the store closest to you.

The freezer arrives between 12-6pm tomorrow, so I might wait on buying meats until it arrives and is set up.

Our goal is to not take out cash this month, shop for things we need using coupons and sales and see at the end of April if we make out better or not.

I already saved us some money yesterday by shopping some sales. Unfortunately, this meant buying generic coffee. I really want to keepbuying Fair Trade, but it's costly...so I might do a mix of both with Fair Trade coffee for the weekend only and generic for the weekdays. I'm not 100% sure how I feel about this yet though.

A fantastic goal would be if I could have coupons that compliment eachother for items already on sale...it's times like that, that you can actually manage to get some free items (not to be confused with my tips for free things, that's another post).

So here are 6 websites you should join and get coupons. I hate that at least one is specifically a "womans" site, as even men need to save money and some men are stay at home Dads and take over tht responsibility. Keep in mind, you can also check out sites for products you love...they will sometimes post coupons there too.

http://coupons.smartcanucks.ca/ this site is #1. They list coupons for all the other sites pretty much, and they also showcase printable coupons. There are forums here where people point to sales and there are trades for items...all around great site.

http://www.websaver.ca/en_ca/coupons/ small but good selection

http://www.save.ca/coupons great selection of grocery and pharmacy items

http://www.pgeverydaysolutions.ca/ amazing selection, seems to update frequently, has groceries, home, health...just so much. They also have samples...samples are always fun.

http://www.gocoupons.ca/ small selection, but premium items it seems, which is great when you want to slurge and save.

Lastly, http://www.divine.ca/en/ this isn't a coupon place per say, but they have a section caled Review Squad. Sign up, and they will let you know when new items are available to review. Pick what you want to review, they will send the item to you...just post a review within the time limit.

Next up: Review of my first shopping adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment