Wednesday 13 April 2011

Free......need I say more?

Ok so you want to know how to score free stuff. I'm not talking about the 5 finger discount, or coupons (though I will update on some coupon stuff after), I'm talking honest to God free stuff.

It's easy.

Compliment your favourite companies.

Seriously.

For instance:

When my Husband and I were just starting to live together, he was in school and I was supporting the two of us on a tiny income, I visited a toy store on Mount Pleasent. In this toy store they had these stuffed fantasy dolls...wizards, knights and fairies. I love fairies. I know who doesn't! Well these stuffed fairies also had mounts including a stuffed frog (I also happen to love frogs and have a tattoo of one).

Now I couldn't afford to buy both the fairy and the mount, so I figured I would buy the fairy and come back another day for the mount. I took the toy home and my Husband rolled his eyes at me and laughed.

Months passed by and I returned to the store for the mount, only it wasn't there anymore. I asked the Manager when they would be getting more in, and they said never as the item was discontinued. Disheartened, I thought I will e-mail the company and find out who else in Toronto sold the toys and maybe someone will have one left.

In my e-mail I let them know of my quest (come on it's a fantasty toy, of course there is a quest) to purchase this toy, and asked very nicely if they could direct me to some toy company in Toronto with them.

A week later, while sitting at my desk at work, I recieved a package. Oddly I wasn't expecting anything. I opened it up and there it was. My frog mount. Nestled in some tissue paper with a little card. The company thanked me for my kind words and wanted me to have the toy.

It started something in me. I felt a little evil. Seriously...being honest and kind gets me free stuff?

So when my Husband and I were getting married, I e-mailed Lays about what Ketchup chips meant to us and how they were a part of our relationship (to this day friends bring ketchup chips to our parties, and say that Ketchup chips means we love eachother - I won't go into that whole story)...well Lays e-mailed me back and asked if they could send us coupons and free stuff! Sure!

I went to Body Blitz, a women's spa in Toronto and I e-mailed them after to let them know how much their spa relaxed me, and how important that was as I have severe stress issues and skin problems. They posted my letter, spelling and grammar mistakes included, to their website and asked if they could give me some free treatments as thank you! Sure!

I let my favourite coffee company know how much I adore their coffee and how my Husband and I were trying them all (like pokemon!) to see which was our favourite. They asked which one was winning so far...and then sent us some!

Companies like hearing about people who love their product...and not a simple "Dude you're awesome!" - though that might work - but they want to know why you love their product so much. Let them know and the free stuff will roll on in.

Seriously, I've only posted a couple of my stories. I have more. I like free stuff.

Finally, big name clothing and accessory companies love it when you tell them about companies selling knock-offs. I have heard stories of people getting real products when they expose fakes. Not saying you should go do that....but again honesty pays.

There you have it Free Stuff. Go and e-mail away....

Ok so I said I was going to talk again about coupons briefly. I've learnt a couple of things. 1) in Canada stacking coupons doesn't much work (well not often)
2) People will sign up to coupon websites with different address' and order coupons in bulk - this can get you banned from some sites if you are caught, and can get companies to stop issuing coupons. Risky and really not fair to everyone.

And lastly.....coupon swapping.

So Smart Canucks was a website I had listed that shows all the Canadian coupons out there. Well a little digging also shows that people around Canada will list what coupons they have, and what they want....and you swap. You can even swap Canadian Tire money for coupons.

They also have a section called Coupon Trains. Basically a number of people get together and list what coupons they want in order of importance. Then the first person sends coupons to the second...second to third and so on. Sounds like a pretty awesome concept.

I thought about getting into that stuff, but when I looked at my small amount of coupons and I thought about all the work to sort through what coupons I want (I've only just started using them yeesh), vrs what I have....and then you have post them, and search through other coupons for trade. It's just too much work for me. I dreamt about coupons last night, that is how I know I can't do all that. But that doesn't mean you can't so I am letting you know.

My Husband has asked that I not go coupon crazy even though we are trying to save money.

I did my first coupon outing yesterday to Shoppers. I made out well. I spent $20 and got a new razor, 2 deoderants for my Husband, shaving cream for me, 8 bars of soap (Olay), 2 body washes (Olay) and....oh actually I think that's it. Still made out really well.

Current tally: Last week final grocery numbers came in at $150. $110 less than typical. So far so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment