Monday 11 July 2011

Pooork

It's amusing to me this whole buying bulk concept. I mean yes it's simple, but man do some people take it to extremes.

I was shopping at No Frills this weekend and they had this half back pork sirloin on sale. I got this HUGE hunk of meat for $11. I noticed that the freezer has a big yellow sign stating 8 per family. I just stared at it for a second and then back at the meat in my hand. I tried to picture taking home 8 of these things. It's an assload of meat.

Ok perhaps if I had a large family, or was having a big party, I might take 8 of them home. The same sign was also on toilet paper that was on sale (and cleaned out might I add. 30 rolls (extra rolls so it was really 60) for $8.99....now we still have some left from the last sale so I didn't grab any...not that there was any to grab...but still  I pictured someone taking 8 of these suckers home. Are they preparing for the apocolipse??? Did they anticipate a lot of Mexican food in their future (no offence, I myself like a mean taco).

I have heard of people with their storage cellars filled with enough product to last them months. I started this blog in April and we are still working through a lot of the stuff we stocked up on. But I mean there is a limit.

I took that hunk of meat home and I looked it up on the internet to see how you cook it (again not big pork eaters in my house). Turns out it's just like a steak. So my Husband sharpened his knives and started cutting.

...and cutting....and cutting.....17 steaks. 17! And some of them we both agree are too big and could be cut in half. So lets assume someone bought 8 of these packages and cut them up into steaks...that's 136 steaks!!!!!!!!!! 136!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a lot of pork. I feel porky just thinking about it all.

We've slid back a bit into our old routine (ok I have), and our bills have been going up a touch. I feel like such a failure. But to be honest coupon cutting was exhausting. I mean I can still just order the coupons and have them sent, but keeping track of what's what, which expires when and limits...it's nuts. And while coupon swapping is a great idea, it just takes up sooo much effort. Perhaps I am lazy...but I have a finance course to be working above and beyond my everyday job, but house work and upgrades....I just don't have the time.

I will get back on the boat again. Maybe I just need to take it back to basics, slow down a touch...not go too big too fast like I was doing. I am still checking sales (wicked sale of berries at No Frills this week too), and trying to get more bang for my buck, but I really could be doing more.

With medical treatments on hold, and the need to save up money so we can try again, I have great incentive to save up. I just need to get over my inner child who whines about having to go to more than one grocery store at a time.

Anyway rant over...happy shopping!

1 comment:

  1. I know a lot of people look out for ridiculous sales for their own stores, so there's that too.

    ReplyDelete