Saturday 21 May 2011

Tis the season for Farmer's Markets

Ahhhh summer. I love it. Everything is green and ripe and just.....fresh.

One of the things I love about this season is all the farmers markets in the city.

Nothing but fresh produce grown locally, hopefully organically, and readily available.

The best way to save the most money here is to shop for items in season. You will be getting the freshest items that way. It's great to support local farmers. But also note that like grocery stores, depending on the area that the market is happening, the price will also adjust. Well that's my expirence as it were.

I've also noticed that there are a lot of booths with items that are not necessarily local, they just have someone who will sell the product locally.

When going to the farmers market, talk to the people beind the booth. Take a moment to learn about their farm, where they are located and what their practises are with growing food. Appreciate what these people do to get the food to your table.

http://tfmn.ca/ has a list of the different farmers markets in the city.

I have been to the one by City Hall downtown which I find tends to be a bit pricey, and sometimes less farmers, more artists. I'm not saying that, that is a bad thing...just be prepared to maybe not find what it is you want.

I've also been to the one at Metro Hall. This one has a honey vendor there every year. If you ask him if his honey is organic be prepared for an interesting lesson. He will tell you how no real honey is "organic" and I know some of you might be rolling your eyes, but he has a point. He says that he does not use any pesticides or chemicals on the hives, but he cannot say for sure that his bees have not travelled to a neighbouring farm or home which has used pesticides. Point taken. But that he does not use pesticides won me over, even if I don't know what those bees have been up to.

There is a flower booth there every year, and I would say probably only 4 or 5 farmers, and the prices don't vary too much but some items do so it's good to walk around. There is another booth that carries some of the most yummy and interesting jams, and the best tarts ever. Seriously if you ever want to treat me to something  yummy, I'll take some tarts please...the ones with the chocolate.
Beside that both will be their truck and they sell some fresh cut flowers there. Across are 2 vendors. One selling breads (which I have never bought from before), the other selling meats (again I find them pricey and haven't tred them yet). There is seating and bands playing at lunch.

Be aware of a couple of things though. This market is in the heart of a bunch of commercial buildings, and one whole area is just restaurants selling quick and easy fare for lunch. So long line-ups and very busy during lunch.

If you are there and are hot hot hot, try out the lemonade shack in the back. It's a little booth that sells fresh made lemonades and some curry fare. Very very yummy.

Another farmers market I go to and enjoy a lot is the East Lynns Park market. It happens on Thursdays and they block off one end of Woodmount for the people to walk around and for the trucks of the farmers. I've had great bread there (zuccini bread yummm), awesome veggies and you really get close to the community. It's small, but there are still about 7 or 8 vendors.

Now if you have a car, I would suggest making a day trip outside of Toronto.Visit farms that allow the public to come to directly to buy products. Walk around, check it out. A lot of blood, sweat and tears goes into having a farm and show the farmer that you really appreciate it. It's a great outing for children as well.

So happy shopping. If you have a favourite market that you like to go to in Toronto, tell me I always like to check out new places.

No comments:

Post a Comment