Sunday 1 May 2011

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!

So my first month of saving is complete.

My Husband ran all the numbers and checked and re-checked.

At the end of our first month on this journey, including cab rides from the grocery store, take out and pharmacy items...we saved.....

30% of what we would have spent on our monthly grocery bill!

Now there is still much saving to do. This is just the beginning.

I went to my first coupon swap meet. It was a lot of fun. There was a half dozen of us, and if you had posted the coupons you were looking for, people passed envelopes with goodies already picked out. Otherwise we just sat chatting, passing around all our extra coupons for everyone else to pick from, and picking from others stashes. I came out with a $25 card for Sears which I used for pillows...that was awesome.

I have a TON of coupons for different eczema lotions and skin care...which is great...I just hope they come on sale between now and when the coupon expires so I can save more. It's expensive stuff.

I did my weekend check of all the fliers this morning. I did a late grocery shopping and was armed with coupons and fliers. I think I mentioned this before, but if I haven't, No Frills price matches. So they are cheaper on a lot of things, but it's always good to check fliers for other places that have items you want on sale.

For instance, my Husband and I were saying that to cut down on any take-out we do, we should stock some frozen pizza's in the new freezer. Well wouldn't you know, Fresh Co. had McCain's premium pizza on sale for $2.99! It's like anywhere from $4+ savings.

I went to grab some and the guy that worked at the No Frills pointed out that their pizza that was on sale for $4 was in the freezer. I was like...thanks..and kept getting the premium pizzas. When I got to the cashier I gave her the flier and she called the floor manager to confirm it was good...and less than 5 minutes later, I walked out with 5 pizza for only $2.99 a piece. Pretty sweet. Great if you are a student.

This weekend I am thinking of making another trip to Kensington. I'm not 100% sold as yet.

Next up: I'm going to start doing some (not a lot) stock piling. Just buying things (we need and will use) in bulk when they are cheaper. The cost is large at first, but pays off in the long run. We'll see how that goes. But first: I go in for minor dental surgery tomorrow...so I might have to be drinking nothing but liquids for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment